Friday, May 25, 2012

Mouth/Sense of Taste

Book Suggestions:
Mouth by Cynthia Klingel
The Wide Mouth Frog by Keith Faulkner
Whose Mouth is This? by Lisa Morris Kee
Taste by Maria Rius
Tasting by Kimberley Jane Pryor
Taste by Maria Hidalgo
Baby Senses: Taste by Silver Dolphin
Look, Listen, Taste, Touch, Smell: Learning about your Five Senses by Pamela Hill Nettleton
Taste by Patricia J. Murphy

Activities:

Face:
Materials: construction paper, glue, scissors

Description: Prior to doing this activity cut out a large circle (face), two small squares (eyes), one small oval (nose), one small rectangle (mouth), and two small triangles (ears). Show each piece to your toddler and have them name each shape. Help your toddler glue all the shapes together to create a face. When the face is complete have your toddler name each part of the face and tell you what it does. (Example: eyes see)

Skills Targeted: teach your tot shape recognition, teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot body part recognition, teach your tot language development
Taste different foods:

Materials: a variety of foods (include foods that are sweet, salty, sour etc)

Description: Provide a variety of different foods on a plate for your toddler. See if your toddler can name the foods. Talk about what part of the body they will use to taste these foods. Have your toddler taste each different food and talk about how it tastes. Is it salty, sweet, or sour? Ask your toddler if they like it or not.

Enrichment: Draw two columns on a piece of paper. Write like and dislike on the top of each column. Once your toddler tastes each food, ask them if they like it or not. Draw a picture of each piece of food in the like or dislike column and label each food. When they are finished tasting all the foods, use the chart to review what foods your toddler liked and did not like.

Skills Targeted: teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot to understand simple charts, teach your tot decision making skills, teach your tot language development, teach your tot about their sense of taste
Look in the Mirror:

Description: Take your toddler to a mirror and talk about different parts of their body that they see. Ask your toddler to find their mouth (eyes, ear, nose etc). Next ask your toddler to find the part of their body that they use to taste food (see, hear, smell etc).

Skills targeted: teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot body part recognition, teach your tot language development
Toothy Smile:

Materials: construction paper, glue, scissors, marker

Description: Draw or cut a large mouth and at least 10 smaller squares from white paper (teeth). Show it to your toddler and ask them where their mouth is. Glue the mouth to a piece of construction paper and have your toddler tell you where their teeth are. Ask your toddler what their teeth are used for. Have your toddler glue the small squares into the mouth. When the glue dries count the teeth with your toddler. Write the numbers 1-10 (or 20 depending on how many teeth you made) on each tooth. Hang this mouth somewhere that your toddler can see it throughout the week and refer to it often to practice counting.

Skills Targeted: teach your tot to count, teach your tot number recognition, teach your tot body part recognition, teach your tot motor skill development
My Senses Song:

Materials: draw or print pictures of eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and hands, popsicle sticks, glue

Description: Show each picture to your toddler and have them tell you what it is. Have your toddler find each body part on their body and tell you what each part does. Help your toddler glue each picture onto a Popsicle stick. When the glue dries use the pictures to sing the song My Senses found below in Songs and Finger plays. Your little one can hold up each different body part as you both sing about it.

Skills Targeted: teach your tot body part recognition, teach your tot language development, teach your tot sensory development
Different Textures:

Materials: a variety of different textured foods

Description: Not only can your mouth distinguish different tastes but it can also help tell the different textures of foods. Some foods are soft, hard , mushy, chewy etc. Provide a variety of foods for your toddler to taste. Have your child feel each different food with their hands and ask them how each ones feels. Now have your child taste each one ask them how it feels in their mouth. Is it crunchy or mushy? Does it feel the same in their mouth as it does in their hands? Talk to your toddler about chewing their foods. What foods to you have to chew more? (Hard ones) less? (Soft, mushy ones).

Skills Targeted: teach your tot sensory development, teach your tot language development, teach your tot to compare and contrast textures

Favorite Foods:

Description: Everyone has different favorite foods. Talk to your toddler about their favorite foods. Why do they like them? How do they taste? Have your toddler pick their favorite food and help you cook it. As you make the food, talk to your toddler about all the ingredients that go into making their special food. They may appreciate it even more after having to make it themselves. You and your toddler can have a special "favorite food party" and eat together. When you are both finished eating see if your toddler can draw or color a picture of their favorite food.

Skills Targeted: teach your tot language development, teach your tot life skills, teach your tot motor skill development, teach your tot decision making skills
Lip Prints:

Materials: lipstick, paper

Description: Show your toddler a picture of a mouth or have them take a look at their own mouth in a mirror. See if your toddler can find their tongue, teeth and lips. Your toddler can make fun lip prints by applying a small amount of your lipstick and pressing their lips onto a piece of paper. You could also do this and talk with your toddler about whose lips are bigger and whose are smaller. Be sure that you help your toddler put on the lipstick and be sure that they do not eat any!

Skills Targeted: teach your tot body part recognition, teach your tot creativity, teach your tot to compare and contrast sizes, teach your tot language development, teach your tot motor skill development
Happy/Sad Mouth:

Materials: felt, scissors, glue

Description: From felt, cut out a face, two eyes, a nose and two mouth (one happy and one sad). Glue the eyes and nose onto the face but do not glue the mouths on. You could also have your toddler do this part if they are a little older. Explain to your toddler that sometimes your mouth can tell other whether you are happy or sad. Show your toddler the happy smile and the sad frown. See if your toddler can make a happy face and a sad face. Make up or read a story to your toddler where the main character is happy and sad. As the character's feelings change, change the mouth from a smile or a frown or vise versa. Hang the face somewhere for you and your toddler to refer to it all week. As your toddler's feelings change throughout the week, change the mouth on the felt face as well. Always take the time to talk to your toddler about why the mouth changed on the felt face. You and your toddler can also practice making happy and sad faces.

Skills Targeted: teach your tot to understand feelings, teach your tot body part recognition, teach your tot language development, teach your tot to develop life skills
Songs and Finger plays:

My senses:
Sung to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb

I use my ears to hear,
ears to hear,
ears to hear.
I use my ears to hear many different sounds.

I use my mouth to taste,
mouth to taste,
mouth to taste.
I use my mouth to taste many different foods.

I use my nose to smell,
nose to smell,
nose to smell.
I use my nose to smell many different smells.

I use eyes to see,
eyes to see,
eyes to see.
I use my eyes to see many different sights.

I use my hands to touch,
hands to touch,
hands to touch.
I use my hands to touch many different things.

My Mouth:
sung to the tune of We Wish You A Merry Christmas

I have one mouth on my face
I have one mouth on my face
I have one mouth on my face
My mouth helps me taste

I have one tongue in my mouth
I have one tongue in my mouth
I have one tongue in my mouth
My tongue helps me lick

I have many teeth in my mouth
I have many teeth in my mouth
I have many teeth in my mouth
My teeth help me chew

I have two lips on my mouth
I have two lips on my mouth
I have two lips on my mouth
My lips help me talk

Mouth, Mouth, Mouth:
sung to the tune of Jingle Bells

Mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth
I have one mouth.
It helps me taste
It helps me chew
I love mouths, don't you.

Mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth
My mouth is cool.
It has a tongue
Teeth, and lips
and with it I can sip.

Online Fun:

Check out these videos at www.SesameStreet.org

Everybody Eats

Making a Face

One Fine Face

Recipe and Snack ideas:

Since we are learning about our mouth and sense of taste this week, simply try different foods with your little one. Talk with your toddler about how the food taste, if they like it or not, and how it feels in their mouth.

1 comment:

Shonda said...

What a fun bunch of activities!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...